Monday, April 21, 2014

Lazy Saturday


Hooray for dog-hikes! Hooray for sunshine, and relaxed Saturdays, and our nearest, dearest state park. And for Del's first lake swim of the season. 



He looks so grotesque in this one, mid-shake.


I spent quite a lot of time on this hike limping, or flopped on the ground, stretching. Just curious, but what is the collective opinion of the readers of this blog regarding the science of chiropracty? I am having serious hip pain-- it's been years of coming and going, but this is definitely the worst it's ever been. And, come on now, it's GARDEN SEASON! I cannot be crippled. I went to the chiropractor (a first for me) last week, and he was only able to prescribe some stretches. I was hoping for, y'know: "well, here's your problem, let's just pop this back into place... all better!" No dice. So, I stretch. I hobble around the yard with a bucket of rocks, grimacing, and I stop (I stop; this is completely counter to my gardening mojo) and I flop in the grass or on the patio in the sun (not so bad, really) and I stretch. It works for a half hour. I stretch again.

I am accustomed to using my body like some kind of impact tool, hurling myself into whatever task at hand. Obviously, that needs to change. And I need to be stretching, not just when it hurts, but all winter, to keep things limber for the growing season. So he says. I so hope he's right-- pain is no fun, though it is giving me more opportunities for bird watching.


Psst! Click here to subscribe to the feed!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Ooooh, pretty hike. Sorry your are hurting.

Not a fan of Chirpractors but, BillHubby swore by his in his days of toting heavy, heavy camera gear everywhere. Sounds as if you may have a sciatica problem. Stretching helps but Bill only found relief from acupunture! (After a bazillion visits with his chiro guy.)

Hope your pain is eased soon.

Julia2343 said...

my chiro works for my headaches but not back pain. go figure. that was a disk issue and needed an md to prescribe relaxants and lots of PT

Karen said...

i struggled with this for a while, couldn't sit indian style without intense pain after a few seconds. still flares up sometimes. it's a common condition as we age, the bones are rubbing against each other (i know, ew) due to lack of oilage of certain parts. i've found that frequent exercise (walking miles ... and swimming) helps. hope it passes.

Karen said...

i struggled with this for a while, couldn't sit indian style without intense pain after a few seconds. still flares up sometimes. it's a common condition as we age, the bones are rubbing against each other (i know, ew) due to lack of oilage of certain parts. i've found that frequent exercise (walking miles ... and swimming) helps. hope it passes.

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails