Monday, April 25, 2011

Intent to flourish


I have a confession to make. Friday night, I went for a long walk around our Binghamton neighborhood, and on my way home, I stopped for a donut. I love donuts. I ate it while walking in the misty rain, licking my fingers and sucking goo out of the wrapper. 

Then I smiled a big, loopy, sugar-crazed smile.

And then the guilt set in. I went out for a long walk, for health,  for exercise, and completely negated the whole endeavor with a donut.


Well friends, let's just say this. When I finished digging this trench, straightened and stood back, I didn't feel quite so bad about my solitary donut Friday night. This is my asparagus trench. It is two feet by thirty feet long.



This is what my 25 asparagus crowns looked like after I set them in the trench, before I "tucked them in." Then I got to watch it rain on them, and watch all the neighborhood robins come dine on this fresh filet-of-earthworm buffet. 

Nothing quite announces an intent to flourish like an asparagus bed. It'll take three years for the plants to get established and start producing, but that's fine by me. Three years of waiting, and then I get to spend the rest of my life enjoying the fruits of my labor? That's not a bad deal at all.

            

2 comments:

Becky said...

Good start! I had no idea it took asparagus so long to grow. Wow.

Kristina Strain said...

It doesn't take long to *grow* per se, but since when you harvest it you're basically stealing its first growth of the year, you want to make sure the plant is strong enough to re-grow after your theft!

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails