Monday, June 4, 2012

Progress in the details


(New sills on the shed.)
 Sorry for my blog-delinquency last week. I was busy. Busy watching my peas flower and busy building raised beds and busy filling them and busy planting anniversary flowers.


(Our wedding anniversary is Thursday, [FOUR YEARS!] and I requested a small anniversary nursery flower shopping trip instead of a bouquet. I think this should be its own holiday: Anninursery. Or maybe Nursiversary. Hmn.)


Our front flower bed was solid weeds when we bought this place, and slowly, slowly, I'm digging out wedges of weed-cake and replacing it with pretty things. Foxgloves, dwarf lady's mantle, golden creeping jenny and Cimicifuga, this year.

(Foxgloves.)


 Bit by bit, I am digging away the sod and dirt over where my greenhouse is going to live, and carting said sod and dirt to the raised beds I am building in the garden, and filling them in. The greenhouse will have a floor of gravel, 6 inches deep, for drainage and to serve as a heat sink. (I have no idea what I am doing.)


The gravel will be ringed with cinderblocks, on which I will lay the first layer of frame-lumber. (I have no idea what I am doing.)

Right now I have like seven or eight BIG, unfinished projects I'm in various stages of acquiring materials or time or money for, and it's making me a wee bit batty. Greenhouse, shed repairs, raised beds, and those fireplace-flanking shelves I'm still in the process of painting. Someday, maybe, I'll have the luxury of doing one thing at a time. Not today.

Psst! Click here to subscribe to the feed!

3 comments:

Meand3Jays said...

With the gardens taking up so much of your time, I bet your sewing machine is feeling a little lonely sitting in the corner:-)
I think anninursery is a brilliant idea! Those perrenials will be the gift that keeps on giving!

Kristina Strain said...

It surely is! I haven't touched it since February, I think, when I used it to sew curtains. I feel a little embarrassed about that, but, well, this is the season for outdoor work.

Becky said...

Ah, don't feel embarrassed. This IS the season of outdoors doings. And I think you do know what you are doing!

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails