Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shower food

This was a first for me. I've entertained crowds large and small, hosted intimate soirées and fed the masses. I've done this enough to feel seasoned, somewhat like a an old pro. But this was the first time I'd taken my goods and my gear on the road, and cooked tasty food in someone else's kitchen. This was my friend Stephanie's baby shower, and I was the, um, caterer.

Now that all is said and done, I have to say: it's pretty cool. You get the fun of menu planning, garnishing and fancy prep-work, without having to clean! That's right. No floors to scrub. That's always the bugaboo about entertaining, to me: I swear I'd have dinner parties every Tuesday night if I didn't have to launch an all-out civil war against crud, scum, and dander beforehand. Hosting at someone else's house exonerates one from the scrubbing, and leaves all the good parts.

The Menu
Greens and cheese frittatini
Cheese board with grapes and fancy olives
Tossed green salad (from the garden)
Potato salad for a crowd (feeds 24!)
Assorted pizzas: I made a vegan one, a kid-friendly one, and an over-the-top gourmet one. I couldn't help myself.

For Dessert:

The pizza flew off its platters as if on wings. Kids ran around the table, errantly grabbing chunks of watermelon and giggling as the juice ran down their chins. People returned like migratory birds, again and again to the cheese board, for one more sliver of manchego, one more gorgonzola-stuffed olive. Exclamations rang like bells.

In all the giddy madness of the day, I forgot to snap a picture of my friend. She's a good one, an important one. She was my chaperon one fateful night in February, the night I met my husband for the first time. Housemate par excellence, bridesmaid par excellence, creative genius with flowers and film, snappy dresser-- and now new mama-to-be. It's been a whirlwind of life, knowing her and being her friend.

Watching her walk off into this next very important part of her life, I want to give her the world: the magic cranky-baby cure, the softest blanket, all the right books to read. But I know the best I can offer is grateful smiles and hugs, and a really big bowl of potato salad.

6 comments:

Danielle and Clint said...

Busy lady! Looks like it was a success!

N said...

Looks like a delicious menu!

Becky said...

Wow - looks fabulous!

What a sweet tribute to your friend and your friendship! You are a gem.

alanna rose said...

I want to hop into your pictures and eat everything! nom, nom, nom!

karen said...

ok, was i the only one that saw your post title and though 'gosh it must be super hot over there if they have to eat watermellon in the shower to keep cool'?!!
wow, your banquet looks amazing! You are such a great hostess:) i too want to hop into the pics to eat your delicious looking food!

Steph said...

Oh Kris, I don't know how I managed to miss this post! It brought tears to my eyes. You helped make that day completely unforgettable. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails