Monday, July 23, 2012

Wedding weekend






I wish I had a mode on my camera that could better communicate the beauty of this day.

We are a small family, on both sides. I'm an only child; Patrick has one sister. Since I started dating him, and especially since I married him, his sister Meghann and I have been friends. It started, really, with calling her to tell her we were engaged. She yelled congratulations! and then was quiet, and on the other end I panicked for a second before she said, "You know, I've always wanted a sister." It really started there, I think.

When she met this guy, the truly excellent handsome guy she married yesterday, we bonded closer. Family gatherings became an excuse to share a double date of sorts-- four chairs in a corner where we sat and guffawed over Mad Men, Regretsy, and Glee. I'm sure the older generation was fully invested in their conversations about knee surgery, or retirement, or RV prices-- all respectable topics for the older generation, to be sure-- but oh, we savored those four chairs in a corner all our own.

We've shared waitressing war stories, and though she loves stilettos and I favor hiking boots, I like to think we have some core aesthetic principles in common.

She chose to have her wedding the same place I had mine-- her parents' back yard, under an enormous white tent strung with Christmas lights. Her mother's gardens and flower boxes and planters overspilled all around-- purple petunias, sea holly, salvia, chartreuse sweet potato vine. There was so much déjà vu for me, which was really enjoyable. At times it was almost like reliving all the best parts of our wedding, only I was watching instead of being in it. What could be better than that?


Again, I wish my camera could do this justice. She looked so radiant-- a little old Hollywood, a little porcelain, a little Versailles. 


I am so eager to see this next phase unfold for her, as it has for me. And I'm so pleased to welcome her new husband, Brent, into our family for good.


Psst! Click here to subscribe to the feed!

1 comments:

Becky said...

Hooray for gaining a fabulous family when you marry! I did too and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails