Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eggs-and-greens wraps with lemon herb sauce



I'm a greens person. I have to confess. There's nothing I love more than a pile a rich, silky greens cooked into submission, with lots of oil and garlic and preferably eggs, too. And if not eggs, cheese. Fortunately, this little garden of mine is cranking out the green goodness like that's its job, and I'm all too delighted to swoop in to gobble it up. Every night this week, dinner has started with a trip out to the garden, paring knife and salad spinner in hand, knowing that with a few key staples in the fridge (cooked beans, wraps, feta, eggs) I could turn out something reasonably delicious in under twenty minutes. This one, I thought, surpassed "reasonably delicious" and shot straight to "really delicious." So, I will share it with you. It's perfect for anyone growing a garden-- even if your garden is just a pot of fresh herbs by the back steps. The herbs are the best part. This comes together quickly and is endlessly adaptable.

Here's how I did mine.

Eggs-and-Greens Wraps with Lemon Herb Sauce

Sauce:
1/2 cup assorted fresh herbs, minced. I used a mix of basil, dill, cilantro, sorrel, and parsley. 
2 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp horseradish sauce (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Filling:
Steamed kale or chard, or raw spinach
Chopped raw broccoli
2 fried, poached, or hard-boiled eggs per wrap

Spread an ample quantity of sauce on a 10" wrap. Add a modest pile of vegetables, and top with eggs. Roll up and eat. 

Of course, you need not limit yourself to the vegetables listed above. Sauteed zucchini would work-- and you better believe I have zucchini on my brain this week, after carrying in five fat ones stacked like stovewood in my arms last night!-- as would steamed green beans or snap peas, and some slices of tomato. 

That's all for now, folks. I have a strong feeling the next several recipes I post will contain zucchini...

Psst! Click here to subscribe to the feed!

4 comments:

Huhnybee said...

That wrap looks like a professional made it ;} Perhaps a wrap how-to at some point? Mine come out just awful and fall apart before I even sink my teeth into it. This looks delish! Would it be horrible to add a tiny bit of bacon?

Kristina Strain said...

Mmmmm, bacon. That would be delicious. And, I *am* a wrap-making professional. Those many nights at Cyber taught me well. :)

masini second said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Aj Ruthie said...

That looks absolutely DELICIOUS! Oh my gosh, I am so hungry now! LOL :)

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails