Thursday, May 26, 2011

A day at home


I had to stay home all day yesterday, to wait for the Home Depot delivery truck. The stacker kit for our washer and dryer was on its way-- they gave me the inconvenient 11am-3pm delivery "window"-- and I needed to be there to sign. When it finally showed up at nearly 2pm, about five ounces of hardware in a box twice the size of a deck of cards, I wasn't too upset. Being home for a whole sunny May day in Gilbertsville wasn't too bad.





It was wonderful.

I woke up early, I let Diesel out. I dragged Genevieve's pen over onto the grass and fed her handfuls of snails I'd pulled off my irises. She loves escargot, that chicken. I dug through the sod pile for worms, fed her those as well. Got quite a start when I lifted a layer of sod to discover a smug and corpulent toad grinning up at me. Oh, hello.

Baked blueberry muffins with the kitchen windows wide open. Chose mourning dove cooing over NPR. Unpacked odd boxes while the muffins baked. Planted two hazelnut bushes (a housewarming gift). Planted beets. Grubbed weeds from around the blueberry bushes. Changed my shoes. Spray-painted curtain rods we got on clearance ($5 each!) with oil-rubbed bronze paint. Cut and nailed two small planks over the dining room doorframe, to make a little display shelf. 

Ate lunch on the porch. 

Post-delivery, I made a quick trip to the nursery and came home with 18 tomato plants, 6 peppers, 3 basil, two foamflower and two coral bells. Planted everything. Neighbor came over to inform me he's labeled me "Hardest Working Person on Spring Street." I smiled, but really, how could I do anything but work? It's May. We're finally here. I've waited my whole life for this time, and there is so much to be done.

I might get over this feeling soon, I don't know. I'm hurrying through each little job completed, like a kid gobbling Easter candy. I know I should be savoring this, I should be thoughtful. But it's all so irresistible, I can't slow down for the life of me. Gobblegobblegobble.



Psst! Click here to subscribe to the feed!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Hi, I just started following your blog a few months ago. I can't even remember how I came across you, but I want you to know you are living my dream! As much as you are gobbling up your new life, know that I am gobbling up your posts and dreaming about my own someday! Thank you so much for sharing!
Megan

Kristina Strain said...

Thank you, Megan! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. This journey is so much better shared. :)

Becky said...

Sounds as if it was a perfect day in your perfect new home.

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails