Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Quest for the Perfect Carrot

I am not someone blessed with the good luck of growing perfect carrots. Usually, they're stumped, nubby little affairs, wrinkled and bearded with little white roots. Every year I've done something different-- dug deeper, worked in more compost, tried a different variety-- and every year they've improved slightly. This one's pretty good, but, ok, I guess I ain't there yet. I'm not my friend Zeb, who pulls scores of nearly footlong grocery-store-perfect carrots out of his garden every year. Maybe someday.

But hey, at least I'm making progress. It's a learning curve. Someday, someday, I will grow perfect carrots.

3 comments:

katherine mary said...

i like the ones that look like legs running for dear life. :) glad you're back, love!! <3

Kristina Strain said...

Love it! How's your garden winding down?

Becky said...

I'm impressed that you have any carrots. We have way too many underground varmints so I can't grow bulb flowers or underground veggies. :(

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails