Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to eat when you're sick


Lunch isn't usually this big a deal at our house. Ordinarily, it's leftovers: a bit of soup, a wedge of some hearty casserole, day-old stir fry. Or else, the humble peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But today, in celebration of a double-digits outdoor temperature for the first time in nearly a week, I made panini.

Remember that bit I wrote on Monday, that bit about me being an appliance whore? Well, here's yet more proof it's true.

My stuffy-headed self was craving carbohydrates, and grease. My fridge held all the appropriate fixins: cheese, bread, and a leftover knob of that herb butter I whipped up on Monday, too. I toasted the bread, I sauteed peppers and onions, and then I planted myself in front of the panini press, and watched. The cheese softened and turned oozy. The bread developed the necessary and oh-so-appetizing grill marks.

Ten minutes later, I was halfway through the best sick day lunch ever. Ooooh yeah.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

tonight i made myself that egg-salsa thing you used to make in college (with the tabasco and garlic powder? hello!) and ate it on toast. Sometimes out bodies crave such weird things! PS: thanks for the mushroom recipe, i owe you big emails after the wedding in denver ^^
~C

Kristina Strain said...

Oh, goodness, that feels like a very long time ago. But I remember. Cravings are odd things, indeed.

Anonymous said...

By god, I want to be sick. That lunch would cure ailment.

Anonymous said...

Any ailment, that is. (curses! I hate when that happens.)

Post a Comment

Thank you, so much, for taking the time to chime in here. Your comments make my day. Let's do our best to keep the snarkiness at bay and be a happy, friendly place in the interwebs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails